Welcome to the latest edition of the Haxe Roundup. Haxe is a high level, strictly typed programming language and cross-compiler.
News and Articles
[events/upcoming]The next Haxe Roundup Roundup event over on Discord is scheduled for Sunday 23rd April 18:30.
- What’s next for Northgard?
- Perilous Icons new generator by Oleg Dolya.
- Three new guides for Ceramic about Scenes, Observables and State Machines by Jérémy Faivre.
- Josh Tynjala is going to blog about some of the new features coming to OpenFL, with devlog
#1about Weak event listeners.
[devlog]Dead Cells Update 34 - Clean Cut moves into beta.
[devlog]New funkin blog - Week of 2023/04/14: Shoutouts da greenhouse edition.
- Logo has been working on a list of people in the Haxe community on open platforms such as Mastodon.
- Haxe.Social is a new unofficial Akkoma instance for Haxe developers and projects.
In case you missed it
4.3.0is here! Here’s what you need to know article by EliteMasterEric.
- New interop features with Hxcpp and Haxe
4.3.0article by Aidan Lee.
- Help creating a macro to forward operator overloads is partially solved.
- A guide that explains how to use Filters in Ceramic by Jérémy Faivre.
- Re-announcing Defender’s Quest 2 (Art & Trailer Reveal!) article by Lars Doucet.
- ⛏️Cave/Glade Generator
2.0.2: Water by Oleg Dolya.
- PickHaxe for Minecraft post by EliteMasterEric, with some screen shots posted over on the Haxe Discord server targeting Fabric or Forge.
1.0is out now!
[devlog]Dead Cells new alpha patch released.
[devlog]New funkin blog - Week Of 2023/04/07: GOOD FRIDAY.
Videos & Music
- Supercharge Your Code with Haxe
4.3.0's Incredible New Features video by Richard Oliver Bray. ️
- Learn the Blue programming language - Introduction and Methods video.
- Building a simple game in Armory 3D - Beginners tutorial part 1.
- Game Career Seminar: Micro-Postmortems: ‘Casual Birder’, ‘ValiDate’, and ‘Heck Deck’ where torcado talked about Heck Deck’s development and turned it into a pseudo-lecture on how to make interesting games. ️
- Add a video related to Haxe.
In case you missed it
- Welcome to the HaxeUp 2023 at Shiro Games - Simon Krajewski & Nicolas Cannasse video.
- Haxe Spring Report by Simon Krajewski video.
- Performance Haxe in “Dune: Spice Wars” by Tom Rethaller video.
- Creating Indie Games: An Overview of the Shiro Tech Stack by Nicolas Cannasse video.
- Wartales Official Release Trailer.
- All types of movement explained in Armory 3D video.
- All physics movement explained in Armory 3D video.
- Add an available job involving Haxe.
Looking for work
- Alex Johansson is looking for a part time/contractor role.
- Rudy Geslin is available for freelance work.
- Backend Haxe devs wanted to make PVP deltarune fangame listing.
- Ysbryd Games is looking for HaxePunk porters for a potential future title.
- Sean James McKenzie of Armor Games Studios is looking for a team experienced in porting Haxe games to console.
- Corrun is looking for an experienced Haxe programmer to make a deltarune engine.
- Armory3D bounties are available.
- Keep an eye on the Funkin Bounties repo for future items.
- Basic Platformer Pathfinding AI for HaxeFlixel
- Squidly has opened up a bounties page for HaxeFlixel features.
Product Releases & Announcements
- Via the Haxe Discord server, Prexot submitted and published new version of Rhythm Magus.
In case you missed it
- Bring It On!
0.8City Streets has been released, plus
0.8.4which helps with performance & bug fixing.
Previews & Demos
- Freestyle Engine Updates by Rapper GF | Freestyle Dev:
- Freestyle Engine Dev Build : 008! Videos are now playable as instrumental tracks.
- The minimum specs for the engine are an i3 core duo @ 2.1GHZ or equivalent.
Via the Haxe Discord server
- m0rkeulv is trying to bring some new life to the old Haxe IntelliJ plugin. Try the latest beta. Note: This plugin has not been worked on for the last 2.5 years or so, so support for the more recent Haxe features are still missing, but will hopefully be added in the not too distant future.
6.3.26has been released.
git- Sfxr in pure Haxe.
git- Tools for writing Haxe code in the functional programming paradigm.
git- A remake of the Haxe/C# target written entirely within Haxe using Reflaxe.
- Check out the latest open source Haxe projects over on GitHub.
- A preview of the virtual keyboard by Cornell Daly.
- New quick video from Renaine - you guys thought I was joking.
- A little sneak peek at the upcoming tutorials menu from Dune: Spice Wars.
- New Starfox 🐸🐰🦅🦊 remake updates by SnkyGames:
- Venom wall.
- Solved i-frames, electric guitar time!
- Mesh deformation,
- Arwing to Walker transform.
Some Library Releases
- Check out the most recent library releases on HaxeLib.
People & Projects to support
- Axol Studio is a small independent game development studio, making games with and contributing to HaxeFlixel.
- Funkin’ Crew is making Friday Night Funkin’, a cartoon rhythm gaming excellence.
- Patrick is creating Raspberry Pi 4 support for Haxe/Lime/OpenFL/HaxeFlixel.
- Josh Tynjala is working on Feathers UI — open source, cross-platform UI components built with OpenFL.
- Pavel Alexandrov is primarily contributing to the Heaps engine and is the creator of format-tiled library.
- Ian Harrigan is working on primarily HaxeUI, as well as hxArduino & hxWebSockets.
- Kaelan Evans is working on HxDoom, a Haxe adaption of Doom.
- Richard Oliver Bray is teaching people the things he’s learnt, like React, Typescript and Haxe.
- Alexander Gordeyko is developing Pony, a Haxe open-cross-library.
- Andy Li is working around the Haxe ecosystem: CI, packaging, docs and learning materials.
- Kevin Leung is creating open source software libraries.
- Robert Konrad, the Kha author, is creating Programming Toolkits.
- OpenFL is creating free open source software.
- HaxeUI is creating an open source user interface libraries.
- HaxeFlixel is creating an open source, cross platform 2D game engine.
- Slava Ra is creating improvements for FlashDevelop and HaxeDevelop.
- Mark Knol is working on Haxe and its documentation.
- Dan Korostelev is working on the Haxe compiler.
Updates from the Haxe core
Current Proposals & Discussions
- Add support for Extension of Abstracts proposal.
- Add Shading proposal with alt macro solution.
- Add package alias proposal.
- Add Integer data types proposal.
- Add Trailing Block Expressions proposal.
- Add Caller Tracking proposal.
- Add Traits proposal.
- Add Constructor
- Add new syntax for getters & setters inspired by the
C#property syntax proposal.
- Add a type for meaningless values (similar to unit type) proposal.
- Add better Overload Support proposal.
- Add Static Extension Meta Functions proposal.
enumproposal, plus clarification.
- Add Enum abstract instances proposal.
[RFC]Xml Dsl’s discussion.
- Add Default values for enum parameters.
- Do you have an idea to improve Haxe? Consider creating a proposal.
72~ updates have been made to Haxe in the last week.
[jvm]Exception attribute is broken fixed.
- Support deprecation for defines merged.
- Rework error handling merged.
- Default value expressions (default operator and/or literal) request.
- Exponential increase in generated code size due to array matching issue.
- Possible null coalescing operator priority error fixed.
- Namespace message reporting defines for
- Rework extractors merged.
[macro]Custom target merged with config sample code using
- Typing order error with generic and specific import order issue.
[cpp]Generate Typed Functions draft pull request with micro benchmark results. ️
[nullsafety]Fix null-safety locals after if/while pull request.
- Allow boolean operators in patterns pull request.
- Should default type parameters abide by imports? issue.
- Turn TSwitch into a record merged.
[tests]Compilation server vs
defineTypedraft pull request. ️
- Rework module resolution draft pull request.
In case you missed it
< ::cpp::Int64>to fix template errors pull request.
[cpp]Reenable objc extern tests merged.
[nullsafety]Detect nulls in structs pull request.
- Macro static local var not working fixed.
[neko]Optimise BytesBuffer length field pull request.
[neko]Optimise BytesBuffer length field merged.
[lua]Share metatables with other class instances draft pull request.
[lua]Emit class name even if not required merged.
[hxcpp]Capture registers when compiling to Linux fixed.
[hxcpp]Avoid entering GCFreeZone twice merged.
[hxcpp]Support Android NDKs higher than 21 merged.
-std=c99when compiling pcre2 sources merged.
[jvm]Overloaded field of similar signature was already declared (on extern inline) fixed.
- Add “Custom” target draft pull request.
You can get started using the latest features by downloading a nightly build of Haxe and see the impact the latest changes have on each target by browsing the benchmarks site. Head over to OSS Insights for more Haxe statistics.
Take it easy everyone, stay safe and see you next week.